The winners of the Scottish Baker of the Year 2017 are to be announced over the next couple of days. To celebrate, we have put together a recipe for a traditional Scottish recipe with a luxury twist.
Empire biscuits are traditionally made with jam in the middle and are topped with icing. However, in this recipe we swap the jam for salted caramel spread and the icing for chocolate frosting.
Time to make: 30 minutes
Makes 12 biscuits
- 100g caster sugar
- 225g unsalted butter
- 250g plain flour
- Salted caramel spread
- Ready made chocolate frosting
- White chocolate buttons
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Mix together the butter and sugar until smooth
- Add in the sifted flour and mix until doughy
- Roll out the biscuit mixture to about 2cm thick and cut with a circular biscuit cutter.
- Put on baking paper lined tray and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes until slightly browned.
- Once baked, allow the biscuits to cool on a wire rack.
- Make a biscuit sandwich with the salted caramel spread in the middle and the chocolate frosting on top. Decorate with a white chocolate button in the middle.